OMYC started in 1943 as a group of enthusiasts sailing their model boats.
In the 1950’s, under the guidance of Dr. Theodore Houk of Seattle, Washington, the Portland, Oregon sailing group was formed. Dr. Houk was a leading figure from the late 30’s to the 50’s on the West Coast in model yachting. He was president of the Model Yacht Racing Association of America (MYRAA). During that time James Walker, of Portland, is credited with getting the radio control movement off the ground in the late 40’s and early 50’s. Walker, the owner of a model aircraft company in Portland, pushed for the approval of radio controlled classes. He sailed a modified boat of Theodore Houk’s X-class “Humptulip” at the Seattle meet. He also sponsored the “Walker Trophy” as the first award for an experimental radio-controlled class, the DX class. The Oregon Model Yacht Club became a member in the MYRAA in that year.
Sailing for the Oregon Model Yacht Club has always been at the Westmoreland Casting Pool in Portland. Model classes the club was sailing in those early days were the DX-class and the Vane steering controlled 50/800 Marblehead class with sliding rigs. Members of the club competed with the Seattle and Everett clubs in Washington state, in Vancouver, B.C. Canada, and for some members with the Golden Gate Model Yacht Club on Spreckles Lake in San Francisco, California.
With the advancements in radio controlled gear, the Marblehead class became more dominant. Members of the Oregon club started sailing the larger “A” class models and the Marblehead class added in numbers.
For reasons unknown, the OMYC lost membership and sailing competitions fell off. Travel of club members to other West Coast competitions ceased. By 1968 the club no longer existed.
In 1970 the box containing the club archives and all past correspondence came into the possession of Herb Hoser. Contact with previous members followed and the club was reinstated in the MYRAA. Through this, and participation in the Northwest Hobby Exposition near Seattle, the Northwest Racing Circuit was formed. The first Western Divisional Regatta followed in Tacoma, Washington in 1971 in the Marblehead class.
From the start, the Westmoreland Casting Pool has been the clubs predominant sailing site. The club also traveled to competitions in Vancouver, B.C. and to Seattle and Gig Harbor in Washington. Every once in a while individual members compete in National Regattas in various classes throughout the United States. In 1972 the MYRAA became obsolete, mainly because of giving a cold shoulder to the radio controlled models and the ever increasing new classes of model yachts. The new American Model Yachting Association (AMYA) came into being. The Oregon club became a member of this national umbrella organization as club #45.